Pre-Trip Checklist for Rafting with Whitewater Challengers
Group Leader Checklist
- Be sure everyone meets the minimum age requirements for your raft trip.
- Explain payment and cancellation policies (see below) to each participant.
- Give everyone driving directions and arrival time. Please emphasize the importance of being on time in order for the group to stay together. (You may wish to forward your email information to each person in your group.)
- Make any cancellations at least 15 days in advance.
- Make final payment on time to assure your reservation.
- Organize your party into paddling teams of 6 or 7 per raft on the Lehigh (dam release levels); 5 or 6 per raft on the Lehigh (non-release days); and 7 or 8 per raft on the Hudson and Black Rivers.
Important: Raft trips must launch according to strictly enforced Park and state-imposed schedules. We cannot wait or be responsible for getting our guests on the river if they arrive late. Please allow adequate leeway to assure that you don’t arrive later than your scheduled Arrival Time. Driving directions are available on this web site. Note: GPS and MapQuest directions are not always accurate. We strongly recommend relying on the driving directions posted on this website instead.
What to bring…
- Old sneakers (flip flops, loose-fitting sandals, “crocs,” and bare feet are not permitted)
- Bathing suit or shorts
- Change of clothes and shoes
- Eyeglass straps
- Suntan lotion and a cap or visor in summer
- Driver’s license (if renting wet suits or waterproof paddling gear – 1 license per 6 suits)
- Cash for souvenirs or wet suit rentals
- Light windbreaker (no hood) – in mildly cold or rainy weather
- Wool hat, sweater, socks, gloves – in early spring or late autumn
- LEHIGH RIVER ONLY: Simple lunch or order a box lunch from our food service
What NOT to bring…
- Alcohol/drugs (not allowed on the river or in our camping areas)
- Ice chest (these take up too much room and can pose a hazard in rough water)
- Hooded rain suits/ponchos (unsafe for use in moving water)
- Bare feet, loose sandals, “crocs” or flip-flops (unsafe on the river)
- Cotton clothing in cold weather (makes you colder when wet; use polypropylene or wool)
- Change of clothes – leave this in your car where they will remain safe and dry
- Expensive camera (unless waterproof)
- Jewelry, valuables
- Wallets, keys – keys can be left on the key board in the camp store
- Pets (not allowed on the river or in the campground)
- Timely arrival is imperative. We cannot wait, and there can be no refunds for late arrivals.
- Alcohol and drugs are not permitted. Anyone who, in our judgment, is under the influence will be denied participation, without refund.
- Last minute additions made on the day of your trip must be paid by cash, money order, certified check or credit card. No personal checks please.
- No refunds can be made for no-shows, late arrivals or late cancellations. 50% refund is available for cancellations made 7 to 14 days in advance. 100% refund for cancellations at least 15 days in advance.
- Trips go rain or shine. If in doubt, call ahead (800-443-8554).
- Wet suits are required in April, and occasionally at other times of unusually cool or inclement weather.
- Each participant is required to read and sign a liability waiver and covenant not to sue.
Good things to know before you arrive at our rafting center…
Arrival Time is NOT Departure Time!
Your reservation confirmation lists an “Arrival Time” for each of the activities you’ve reserved. This is the time that you and your group should arrive on-site to begin the process of completing paperwork and dressing for the trip. It isn’t the time the rafts are scheduled to launch, nor is it the time the bus shuttle leaves for the river or the bike trails.
Water Levels Can Change Quickly!
River levels can sometimes rise or fall unexpectedly. When we are able, we’ll notify you in advance if a dramatic change has occurred. In all cases, though, we’ll select the best available river route, based on the day’s conditions and the preferences you’ve requested. We cannot be held responsible if water levels are higher or lower than expected on the day of your trip.
At the Lehigh River…
Arrive Earlier For Breakfast!
If you have reserved breakfast at our Pennsylvania Adventure Center, or intend to purchase breakfast when you arrive be sure to join us at least one-half hour before the activity Arrival Time listed on your reservation confirmation.
Pick Up Your Box Lunch!
You are welcome to bring your own lunch (no glass containers, no alcohol). You can take advantage of the complimentary lunch offered on our weekday Family Style Whitewater Trips or, if you ordered box lunches from our Pennsylvania Adventure Center, be sure to pick these up before your departure and take them on the shuttle bus with you. Otherwise, we are unable to get them to you at the river or on the biking trails.
Don’t Miss Dinner Hour!
Our dinner service at the Lehigh River ends one-half hour after the return of the last trip of the day to the Adventure Center. If you’ve made advance reservations for dinner with us at our Lehigh River Adventure Center, or decide later to purchase dinner, be certain to assemble at the dinner pavilion prior to its closing.